Tuesday, November 21, 2017

It's never a mistake to make the first move

Beth, I'm excited for you.  It's always right to make a move like this, but I sometimes think that we three might have suffered from our mother's reluctance or timidness in social situations.  It's been said that you can never go back, but in this instance I think you're right in your belief that it's the situation you don't want to relive, not the person that you knew within that situation. It sounds as though you're both going to move fairly slowly, and gently feel your way into a new relationship.

re: the wine.  It is a pleasure to be able to look at all that fresh new wine, in the clear bottles and well labelled. So much of "women's work" is un-seen and un-recognized, but you have concrete proof of the results of your labour.  You had mentioned having difficulty getting old labels off your previously used bottles, and David wants to make sure you know about a product called Steri-San (aka "the pink stuff") that he uses.  Soak the bottles in warm water and this for a few minutes and the labels slide off quite nicely.  Then just rinse the bottle.  I have found that this will clean just about any glass item, including my Corningware, quite nicely, without much "elbow grease" at all.

I don't have much to show for my labour over the past week, except a pile of Mastercard receipts.  I have been reluctant to start a new project while waiting for the supplies that have been ordered for my next reliquary.  However, it's now been almost 6 weeks for the yarn, and I received a message that the thread I've been expecting in the mail didn't get processed until last Friday--almost two weeks after I ordered it.  So, I decided to get to work on my hexie work bags.  I don't want to start the larger quilt right now as that will mean a major re-organization of the studio furniture.  The hexies, for the  bags, get machine sewn with the papers in, but then removing the papers means that they get pretty well demolished.  This gave me the pleasurable thought that this must mean that I never have to baste another hexie in this lifetime.

David has now had his CPAP machine for almost 4 weeks.  He's still adjusting to it, but usually gets a respectable amount time with it.  However, last Friday we bought him a new, very good quality pillow, which he used for the first time last night.  It appears to have worked as the machine registered 9 1/2 hours of good usage.
One more hurdle dealt with. Both the doctor and I see positive changes. From another perspective, this means that I have to adjust to the "new" David.  He is getting his sense of humour back, and taking more of an interest in every aspect of our daily lives, so much more discussion leading up to mutual decision-making.  It's good to start to feel that communication, but still an adjustment to accommodate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment