Saturday, September 2, 2017

Do bad things come in threes?

I guess it's my week to find out.  The disappointing craft sale was the first thing.  So, we step back, re-group and look for a new strategy.   Friday, there was a flurry of e-mails about the more concrete plans for our group gallery exhibit in November. One of them, from the self appointed leader of the group, suggested that we co-ordinate our pricing, and suggested that ALL of our larger pieces be priced at, at least, $600.  This resulted an another flurry of e-mails, mainly from me to her, but cc'd to the whole group, basically saying no flippin' way.  I didn't get any sort of reply directly from her, although she forwarded an e-mail from a more professional, nationally recognized member, whose work usually is priced in the $2500-$5000 range, saying that her pieces would probably be priced higher.  (This woman later e-mailed me, privately, telling me that I should price my work at any level that made me comfortable)  

By coincidence this "leader" had a show opening, and artist's talk at a small museum here in the city, last night. I was very upset, as I've devoted most of the summer to completing pieces for the November show. I wasn't sure I trusted myself to go, and keep my cool.  So, I timed my appearance for just a few minutes before the talk was to start, and just went in and sat down, rather than mingling. Within less than 10 minutes, every one from the group who were there, approached me and made small talk, letting me know how nice it was to see me there. I count this as subtle support.  I also ran into three friends who are not part of the group, and was treated well.  Not sure how this will play out, but, at this point, I think I'm going to keep my mouth shut and price my pieces where I think they should be.

Then, today we went out for coffee and to the bank.  I sold my< wedding silver, yesterday, and got a decent price for it, so I wanted to pay off some of my credit card.  This would then let me order more dye and paint, which is sorely needed. David offered to do that, while I walked across the parking lot to a different coffee store, than I usually go to.  They were busy, and I got an earful about how one employee had shown up ill and had to be sent home.  I wasn't really surprised when it took a little while to serve my coffee, but then a little while turned into more than 20 minutes, while David was sitting across the parking lot, in the car, waiting.  Finally, I got frustrated and went up to the serving counter, making myself more visible. This didn't work, and there were no other customers waiting, so I went up and leaned on the serving counter with my arms crossed. Finally, a woman came up and asked if I was waiting for something.  ( my brain said snarkeley "you figure?",) but I was polite and told her what I was waiting for.  She went and brought it to me, as it had obviously been sitting on the prep counter for awhile.  I asked if it was even warm, and put my finger in it. Barely warm enough to register.  Then she says "well, I could make another one for you'.  Yeah, like I was going to wait another 20-30 minutes.  I just took my cuff off the cup, and walked out.  The worst thing was that I left my sunglasses sitting on the counter.  Talk about cutting off  your nose to spite your face.

So, how do I turn this into anything positive?  Knowing that my coffee takes a few minutes to make, I usually take my book with me.  I was there long enough to almost finish it, and found out "who dun it".  Somehow that doesn't quite do the trick.  However, I did paint a couple more mandalas this morning, that I plan to work on.  I will dwell on them, rather than think nasty thoughts.

p.s. Nope they come in at least fours. After writing the above, I decided that I needed a treat, and decided to check the balance on my little internet credit card, to see if I could order my dye and paint today. Called customer service and found out that I was only $2 below my credit limit.  I never let it get that high!!? Well, it seems that, when I had the carpet cleaned on Thursday, I used the wrong credit card to pay for it. The only way to deal with that is to take a cash advance on the larger limit card and pay off the smaller one--which I can't do until Tuesday.  I think see wine in my future this evening.

p.p.s. Make that fives.  I decided to treat myself by going on the dye site, and making up a "wish list".  It's been awhile since I ordered any of this stuff and the site has changed--significantly.  They now have just a limited amount of both dye and paint, and even that is only in small ( 1 oz bottles of dye and two oz of paint).  So I went on an American site, and found a much better selection, but in the same sizes and for American prices, plus exchange and cross-border shipping, and with the chance that I would have to pay broker fees.  I remembered that about 1 1/2 weeks ago a member of the fibre group had been wanting to order from the site, and go  to pick up the stuff in Pembina. I've -mailed her to find out if I'm too late, but haven't heard anything yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment