Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Among the missing?

I seem to be the one missing this weekend.  The dates for the reno have been confirmed, so we have to be out of the kitchen by next Monday.  We've been doing it bit by bit, so I don't see any problem, but next Sunday will be busy, as I want to clean both the stove and fridge. Now that I'm down to the "nitty-gritty" of the planning, I'm trying to figure out how I'll be cooking some of the things we eat.  I'm very afraid that the diet will be impossible, although I hope to stay close to it. After all, it is intended to change your eating habits for the rest of your life.  I'll have the microwave, the kettle, the grill, and probably the toaster oven, but not all at the same time.  There will only be the little bar fridge, and that might prove the biggest problem.

Cathy, about Flo, we have to remember that they were married in the late 1930's, and women weren't allowed to work after they were married.  If I remember, some of the small towns, in Manitoba, still had laws on the books requiring women, who worked for the town, to resign as soon as they married--Dauphin as late as the 1980's.  I remember Mom and Auntie Ruby talking about how they could have made a fortune working during the war, but had to stop when they married.  All three of them were well educated, and their parents prepared them to have marketable skills--having lived through the depression.

Beth, you asked about notions.  Usually I stock up on zippers when I can find them on sale, but this time I only bought 2 packages of Olfa blades, a 5 1/2 by 16" Omnigrid ruler, and a fair bit of white muslin.  I no longer work at accumulating stash, rather I'm trying to get rid of it.  And in that vein, tomorrow is the "garage" sale at the quilters' guild, and I hope to get rid of more there.

Had a pleasant experience yesterday--the man ahead of me in line at Starbucks paid for my coffee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment